Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Paint it black (and then and jewels)

I was walking down Oxford Street with a friend and he pointed out a Muslim woman walking past in black head-to-toe covering, which I believe is called a hijab. In the back, picked out in sparkly stones, was "Dior". We remarked to each other on the cleverness of designers and walked on. But then, alerted to the phenomenon, we began to notice that many of the hijabs that you see on Oxford Street have jewels around the cuffs or stones set on the sleeve and that sort of thing. I'd never noticed it before, but I guess there's a deep seated human desire to display status -- my husband is richer than your husband -- that will always find a way. It's just a different kind of bling.

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

No comments:

ShareThis