Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The world's favourite airline

Well, they are as far as I'm concerned. I got bumped to First Class from London to Singapore, and since I've never been in BA's First Class on a long haul flight, I will only ever fly BA again. When it's a twelve hour flight coming up, you can't imagine what a spring it puts in your step when you're about to board and you get called over for an upgrade. What a great start to the week.

In case you're wondering what life the other side of the curtain is like, here's a quick guide...

Good. The seat was pretty comfortable and you get a much bigger table to work on. I really liked the leg support: it made for a comfortable working position. They give you a very nice sleep suit. I'd always assumed that the First Class toilets would be luxuriously large so that celebrities could have sex with the cabin crew in them, but they're not that much bigger so it's a bit uncomfortable to change. You get a duvet if you prefer it to a blanket: very cozy. The wash kit is much, much nicer than in the back of the plane and the sleep mask was better too. Really nice food and especially good full English breakfast.

Bad. The new BA Business Class has proper power sockets in addition to airline adapters, so I didn't bother bringing my airline adapter with me. But in First Class, the seats only have the airline adapters and my MacBook Pro gave up the ghost after 2 hours 20 minutes. It didn't really matter because I was knackered anyway so I slept for a fair bit.

The middle-aged (ie, like me) couple in the middle seats were obviously famous in some way, judging from the way they were greeted and seated, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out who they were so that I could impress my friends. He looked a bit like David Gest, she looked a bit like Delia Smith. Any ideas? Perhaps a simple future enhancement to the in-flight entertainment could point out the celebs to other passengers: I've even worked out how to do it, by getting people to add their Facebook page when they go through the online check-in (after all, it already asks you for your mobile phone number and so on).

P.S. I watched Beowulf with dinner: lobster salad, monkfish and dark age slaughter. Excellent.

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

No comments:

ShareThis