Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2008

Seven up

I'm in Hong Kong and we went out for a walk to have a beer and get something to eat. The streets were absolutely packed.

Sevens up

Now, at first it didn't strike me as odd that I couldn't walk on the pavement for people, until I noticed that these people included sombrero-wearing Aussies, very drunk Irish persons dressed up as leprechauns, bar girls who could (as Raymond Chandler famously said) make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window and assorted cavorting Brits, Kiwis and others. Then I remembered: the Rugby Sevens finished today.

I have to say I'm really enjoying myself here. There is a real buzz to wandering in Hong Kong, a buzz of stuff happening. Right outside my hotel room window there is the biggest crane I've ever seen in my life helping to erect yet another gargantuan modern structure on reclaimed harbour land. When all of the port traffic has transferred to China in a few years, I imagine that they will fill in the harbour completely. I'm not saying that in a bad way: the skyscrapers and office blocks here are beautiful, multiple tribes of neon-powered aliens that have touched down for an intergalactic pow-wow on the neutral ground of Earth. It's a pleasure to walk among them, especially on our way to the restaurant just past the Crazy Horse and San Francisco bars. Very colourful.

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

No comments:

ShareThis