Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Football dilemmas

My youngest son plays in a football team. (He had a great game in midfield today with some calm and assured passing easing his team to a 5-2 victory.) I took him to training on Saturday as usual but I noticed that a couple of regulars were missing. It turns out that some of the private schools in the area were having some sort of open day and so some of the kids had gone with their parents to view them. I thought no more about it until I overheard our centre-half talking to our left-winger, discussing whether they might go to Charterhouse (£22K per annum) or some other private school. Not the sort of conversation that the young Rio Ferdinand would have had with the young Joe Cole?

Did I forget to mention that my sons football team is based in Woking?

Putting aside my conflicted feelings about private education, I suspect there may be socio-cultural reasons why the Pyrford - West Byfleet - Horsell triangle will be unlikely to give birth to the next Wayne Rooney, but we'll see. What I was wondering though was if my son's footballing development might be disrupted when he discovers that we are the only family in the team without a swimming pool...

In the future, everyone will be famous to fifteen people.
[posted with ecto]

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

ShareThis