Search This Blog

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Has the revolution started?

When I heard this terrible story on the radio, it immediately made me think of J. G. Ballard's Millennium People, which is set in Chelsea. I won't give the plot away, but an idea in the book is that the next revolution will be lead by the middle classes rather than the working classes (I suppose political theorists would argue that all the others were too). Anyway, if memory serves the book contains a line to the effect "When the revolution comes, it will be about parking".

But then I thought, is it a very English thing? Is that why Ballard went down that route? I mean, people don't shoot each other over parking spaces anywhere else, do they? Well, apparently they do: 10 seconds on google found the same in Los Angeles, New York and Oakland. It was too depressing to scroll down further.

The voices may not be real, but they do have some good ideas.
[posted with ecto]

Technorati Tags: ,

No comments:

ShareThis